The land from The Elder Scrolls Saga
  • 78 posts
  • Page 1 of 6
PsymonStark wrote:
Those days I got more or less creative and I designed this map. Chances are that it would never become usable, but I guess it's worth trying.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/5627/tamriel.jpg

Please guys, help me make this map.

PS. Copyright issues: Still waiting for permission from Bethesda, it's about a week now since I mailed them. If someone may know how to contact them, or the map designer, or someone who can help with this, please do it. But in my research for ideas/info, I came across another related site with a map like this. So please, tell me about all I have to fix from the map, so I can do it as soon as possible, and when we get the permission (I hope) we have already done part of the job.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Vexer wrote:
wow, nice job. it looks very clean. you've already got the hardest part done - the colors - they look great.

The font is too fancy though and it's hard to read.

Some of the rivers are too thin if they are to be used as impassables.

The island in the middle doesn't appear to be connected to any other territories.

I'd be better able to give suggestions if you let me know what program you used to create this. Photoshop?

It takes me a long time to evaluate the game play on the map and before i get to this one i have to look at the 'realm of honored players' map and the 'westeros' map so it will be awhile. Also, it is really hard to tell you about specific problems in specific territories when i can't read the name of the territory. So I will have to wait for an updated font before i can tell you about a couple other problems i spotted.

If we never hear back from bethesda software then that is their fault. We can use this map until we get a take down notice from them. and if we never do, then great.

Thorpe wrote:
A great web site to go to with a lot of map makers on it is:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/search.php?searchid=1767292

The Map maker might be there.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
PsymonStark wrote:
First, yes, I used Photoshop.

The isle of the center is linked to that space of land right on the left, where its name is, Imperial City. Ingame, it's linked with the western coast by a bridge, and it's the only way in.

The only rivers meant to be impassables are the Anvil ones, and the one between Wayrest and Sentinel (NW). I'll be making them wider, specially the last one.

About the font, I'd like to use this one, or similar, according the map style. I'll try increasing the size 1 or 2 points.

Also tell me what do you think about Bravil (SE Cyrodiil). Both parts should be part of it, but I can't do the same than with Leyawiin because name is shorter!

Later I'm updating v.2.
PsymonStark wrote:
I've been looking for a better font, but I didn't find anything, so I did what I said, I made the font 2 points bigger. Also changed a few too straight borders, and widened the rivers a little.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/2489/tamriel3.jpg
Fendi wrote:
Hello.

What a great map! Simple and elegant, reminds me of the Victron map.

- Personally, I dont think making the labels 2 sizes bigger helped, in fact it only made it look busier. All I see now is curved text thats hard to read. As I mentioned before, this map reminds me a bit of the Victron map, they have the same feel and look. Thats why I think it would be best to reuse that same font on this map or another similar.

- I also noticed that you have the 4-corners problem on 3 places. (marked with red)
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/2622/tamriel34cornerproblem.jpg
You need to change those territory lines to make it more clear which territory can attack which.

- Maybe I am being too picky with this one but I do think you need to make the river between the red region and yellow region and bit broader. Also the river thats going into Balmora (purple region) looks a bit weird. The one between the red region and light green region looks very good.

I am not very crazy about the connection lines, they look ok but I think you can make better ones.

I dont really know what to say about the new territory lines, I like them both.

This map is really good, I like it alot and cannot wait till the next update.

Take care.
Thorpe wrote:
on the font ...maybe change the color of them or put a white border around them...The black blend with the borders making the map look busy.

on mini-map....what is up with the big "N" on all regions?

Can the Imperial City attack Cheydinhal or just Chorrol & Skinggrad?

On the connections lines...they are not smooth and F.Y.I. Vexer likes the dash lines, and no curve on them...to me it fits the map's time line...I love them, but they need to be smooth.

The rivers...agree with Fendi.

I did not say....Nice looking map!

When I make a map...most of the time I look at how much one of the maps is being played and then go look for one that has the feel of that map.

The map Fendi is pointing to does not get played as much as other maps that came out after it came out. Maybe you will want to give this map something that can change the "feel" of it.

That is all for now.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
i agree with what's been said.

More on the font. Territory labels are a part of the style of the map but they are also part of the game play and must be clear. I need to be able to quickly find the territory that matches the card I own so that I can plan to take it to get a +2 when I turn in cards. With this font I wouldn't even bother because it would take too long. I may not even play the map because of this.

I agree with fendi that the font for the victron map would probably look good on this map too. i'll ask glanru what it is.
PsymonStark wrote:
-4 corners problem, ok.
-River broadened, ok.
-Balmora river deleted, ok.
-Connections smoothered, ok.
-Font changed (I've been searching for hours :P), ok.

Imperial City can just attack Chorrol and Skingrad, not Cheydinhal, there is no connection with it...

And N is because I don't know how to assign bonus :P

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8467/tamriel4.jpg

Well something happened to Shimmerene circle. I already know it, so don't kill me for that ^^
Cireon wrote:
The idea for this map is awesome. It looks like a very interesting map to play on. I hope you will get permission to use this, because it would be a nice addition to our maps.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
marcoxa wrote:

Nice compromise on the text. It still got the fancy feel to it but you can actually read it now. However the minimap is to crowded. You should try a different font for that. You could also try making the font color white instead of black. The map looks great though. Colors are perfect, texture is mild but works perfectely for this map. Also the title is nIce too. Keep up the good work buddy :)
PsymonStark wrote:
I didn't touch the minimap yet. It's the one of the first version. I'll adapt it to the new font in the next version.

I don't think white labels are better... Tried it, and some of them (specially light blue ones) were pretty invisible.
Matty wrote:
I dont know - this map really looks like the victron map, and sorry, but I dont really like that map.
Can't say why right now, maybe its too clean - the lightning is quite good I think, but you hardly have texture on the map.
Maybe its also just because I don't have much with Bethesda games (not even to mention victron, whatever that may be) :/

You vary the width of you borders, at some points they are wider, and at some points smaller - it looks really good, but I think its a bit too small around Imperial City.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Thorpe wrote:
I saw that also on the borders..but it works...
There are a few spots that need work though, they caught my "eye":

Ald' Ruhn...top inlet.
Mournhold's... inlet
Haven...one spot weak

The circle is cut off @ Shimmerene...maybe a smaller name that would fit? A lot of names are close to your territory circles and I thought I read somewhere or was told, that they need some room for cap colors...I think it is in the rules...I do not remember.

Sorry but I do not like the font color...try a glow...outline...different color...just it still blends...maybe lower the contrast
Vexer wrote:
The new font choice is perfect. Unfortunately that's all i have time to say right now.