juggalo islands on hold (this is way better)
  • 57 posts
  • Page 1 of 4
nanoTek wrote:
As for Risk Day I will be unveiling The Throes Of Perdition map for everyone on Dominating 12. Believe me this is epic, I have been working on it for 5 hours straight. Im going to upload a draft and i would love some feed back good or bad. thank you
nanoTek wrote:
[image]
I havent made any names and im thinking about changing some colors but this is just the draft and there is still more to come. HAPPY RISK DAY
Vexer wrote:
ok where to start?

First, the map should be 1024 pixels wide though a little narrower would be ok. For all i know, the map is that wide but the place you uploaded the image to shrank it.
If it is that wide then it will be 1396 pixels long, which would mean that you would have to do some scrolling to see the chat and game stats. That is ok, it will work with the site but many players, especially the ones on laptops, won't play the map because it annoys them to scroll that much. you can resize the map to make it more square to reduce scrolling. Or you rotate the image 90 degrees.
I have a real problem with the map being longer than it is wide because not only does it increase scrolling, it wastes all the space to the right of the map. I would prefer that there not be any maps with this orientation on the site. But I will allow it as long as the map is only a little bit longer than it is wide. just think about the shape of your monitor. that it the shape that maps should be.  There is a reason, having to do with how human vision works, why everything has a 16 x 9 aspect ratio now.
Vexer wrote:
the water was done using a tiled image. Because of that, I can see columns in the water. it looks cheap. Perhaps you could use the heal and clone tools on that layer to get rid of patterned look. Or you could modify the tiled image that you used so that it won't create the columns any more.

I apologize that I don't have time to figure out a way to give you the criticism you need without sounding harsh and/or unappreciative.

Just trust me, we do appreciate the work you are putting into this map.
Vexer wrote:
This map definitely has a "Perdition" look to it. I wonder though if there is a way to change the textures and colors to make the map beautiful while maintaining that look. In other words, this map is not beautiful. It might not be possible to make it beautiful and maintain the perdition look, but I'd like to see you try.
Kiki698 wrote:
okay so, flip it 90 degrees to the right? and resize? is that the quality that you are looking for? like i said it was a draft and im still going to change some colors. maybe add more islands
-NoXoN- wrote:
 Hey this map is something new for this site. i mean style of map and colors. Nanotek you have done great work but please try to use photoshop or fireworks you can make it better.Personaly i think GIMP belong to stone age.
 You have to do some more work to make lines for conneting islands and when you write names i think this map will look better.
Vexer wrote:
I am having a little bit of difficulty determining which territories belong to which region.

Is that small reddish colored island part of the red region? The thing that is throwing me off is that the texture isn't identical. There is much more white in it than the territories in the red region. It would look much better if the texture matched more closely. The same is true for the brownish-yellowish region, the texture vary too much.

it will be much easier to explain what I am talking about once you get the territory names on there so I can "point" to what area i am talking about easier.
nanoTek wrote:
yes the little island that is off colored is part of the red, i dont like the brownish yellow continent so i diveded it up into 3 reigons and i plan to make them different colors
nanoTek wrote:
i was going for a dark theme so I can lighten the colors up no biggy. but i will put up another draft with names or at least codes like A1 A2 A3
Vexer wrote:
I would prefer that the image not be resized. it would definitely look better if it was made using the right height and width from the start.
Vexer wrote:
1024x 751 is perfect. I am fine with the colors being dark, it is part of the theme. It is the texture of the brown that is mostly what is making it ugly. It would be better if the largest region wasn't brown. Brown is a poopy color if you know what i mean. the red on the region looks great, but the red on the island doesn't