New Update - Please comment
  • 73 posts
  • Page 1 of 5
Vexer wrote:
Map has been updated:
http://www.dominating12.com/forum/?cmd=topic&id=359&page=4#post-5003

I know that the map is not as aesthetic as the other maps but it's the best I can do without photoshop and the required skills.
That being said I think that the game play will make up for the lack in aesthetics.

The map is based on some cities near where I live. The unique thing about this map is the city bonuses. You get +1 for holding the two territories of the larger cities.

Please take a look at the map and let me know if you have any questions about which territories are connected. Also, are the bonuses the right amount and would you prefer more/different connections between territories?

If anyone would like to volunteer to spruce up this map with some photoshop skills, let me know and I will send you a version that doesn't have the dotted lines and words.

[image]
dabbledave wrote:
Good effort.

I'm guessing the dotted lines are train/subway lines? So territories are connected by highways (red lines), roads (orange and grey lines) and trains (dotted lines)? Right?

DD
Glanru wrote:
Red is interstates. That's interstate 5 and interstate 205 on the map. Orange is highways, as the road splitting Tigard is highway 99W. I'm guessing that grey is "other" roads like county roads that connect cities(would be a farm road if you're in Texas). The dotted lines appear to be used to more directly show how the roads connect territories that are far apart or separated by water but connected by bridges.
Glanru wrote:
I think it's cool to see a "cities" map in a small region. 

The more I look at it, the more I wonder if the dotted lines are necessary in some locations if you had a "road" legend. But, that doesn't quite fit with how there is a road from Wilsonville 2 to Lake Oswego 2 but there is no dotted line.
dabbledave wrote:
Oh, I see. So the dotted lines aren't railways? They show the connections between territories?
Vexer wrote:
even though they are roads that connect two cities, I was afraid that it wouldn't be obvious which territories were connected so I made the dotted lines.
They are not railways or subways, they are the same as the dotted lines that connect brazil to north africa in the world map--just connectors.
Vexer wrote:
@ glanru, the road that goes from wilsonville 2 to Lake O 2 is a continuation of a needed road that connects to Ladd Hill. I didn't want the road to just abruptly end at I-5 so I kept it going up to Lake O. Wilsonville to Lake O. just seemed too far away so I didn't make a connecting dotted line. Would you like there to be one for game play / strategy reasons?
Dsds7292 wrote:
A lot of straategy in this map. At first I wasn't sure what I thought of it, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. In fact, I love it!!!!!!!!!!!
blockbuster19 wrote:
sweet vexer,looks awsome...do the lines connect places?...is there a difference between the colors of the lines?
Vexer wrote:
the lines are roads, they do connect places but it's difficult to use them to determine which territories are connected so I added the dotted lines as connectors. You can attack adjacent territories and territories connected by dotted lines. The roads are just there as a part of the city theme and they also provide borders for breaking up cities into sub-territories.
Red roads are major highways or interstates, the yellow roads are highways and the gray roads are main roads.
I will make this more obvious by adding more labels for the roads.
I want it to look like a google map that has been turned into a risk map.
Vexer wrote:
yeah dsds, I wish I could play it right now so I can see how well it works.
Vexer wrote:
I'm surprised that no one has asked about why Ladd Hill and Mulino have no color and are just circles. This is because they are out in the country and are not densely populated.
They are not part of a District and neither is Saint Paul, which is a gray territory. They are too far out in the country and have too few people to be part of a District bonus.
Also, Wilsonville gives you a +1 bonus but it is not part of a district either because I think it makes it interesting for strategy/gameplay.
Dsds7292 wrote:
Man1 u and dabbledave really came through for us when we needed GREAT maps. tHANKS