• 51 posts
  • Page 1 of 4
dabbledave wrote:
Hi 4mygod,

In answering your call to build a map, I spent way too much time trying figure out how to use the image editing software to get this far. ;-)

It's rough, but your thoughts appreciated.

[image]

DD

PS. 4myGod, I wanted to send this to you directly but the contact us link seems to be broken.
Dsds7292 wrote:
I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IT. DO IT do it do it doit
dabbledave wrote:
Gee, thanks for the encouragement guys. You made my morning coffee :-)

Would like to know your thoughts on the reinforcement structure. For the states, they're based on how many areas are exposed to other states, except for Western Australia which offers 3 reinforcements despite only two areas open -- one to Northern Territory and one to South Australia. But it has seven areas in total to control and in real life is probably the richest state per capita population.

After sleeping on it, I'm thinking if you hold Northern Territory without also holding Canberra, you should probably be paid 2 or 3 reinforcements.

I'm a newbie to risk-like games and have only ever played traditional maps, so not really experienced as to what works and what doesn't in terms of map gameplay.

Be very cool if this could be beta-tested though.

Cheers,

DD
dabbledave wrote:
Here's a second version.

Northern Territory now pays 1 reinforcement if held on its own (3 reinforcements if held with Canberra)

I've also added two danger signs (on the borders of New South Wales).

And I've clarified in the top left corner that a danger sign means one cannot pass.

[image]

Cheers,

DD
dabbledave wrote:
Another thought is that a danger sign might mean you can pass, but there is a risk that you may lose up to a certain maximum percentage of the troops you send across. Don't whether that's programmable or not, though.
4myGod wrote:
Wow, yeah you did put a lot of effort into the gameplay of this map. Well done.

I'm not quite sure how Canberra works. So perhaps you can give an example of what will happen in the gameplay.
dabbledave wrote:
Hi 4myGod,

Canberra, as I'm sure you know, is the capital city of Australia. But it is only really a small territory within the borders of NSW state created specifically for government.

So to reflect that in this map/game I thought it would be cool if Canberra plays a bit of a wild card.

If you have troops in Canberra but in no other city, you get 0 bonus reinforcements.

If you hold Canberra, Adelaide and Hobart, however, you get 2 bonus reinforcements (one for each city you hold in addition to Canberra).

Northern Territory's three areas pay 1 bonus reinforcement if you hold them all, but pays out 3 bonus troops if you also hold Canberra.

If, for example, you hold Canberra, Perth, and the Northern Territory, you would get 1 for Perth, and 3 for the Northern Territory for a total of 4 bonus troops.

I would imagine in the early game, Canberra and the state capitals would play a huge role. In fact, Canberra might be a city that starts off as neutral in every game i.e. no human player ever starts the game controlling Canberra.

With only 39 territories in total, this map may only be suitable for up to 5 players, but again I'm too inexperienced in risk-like games to know that.

Cheers,

DD
4myGod wrote:
Ok, sounds interesting. The bonus troops, are they automatically placed on a territory? eg. Canberra or are they like any other bonus troops and the player can place them anywhere?

It sounds like a really good idea, very unique style.

The only problem I see is the graphics. It's hard to understand the rules by only looking at the map. I don't know how to make it clearer to understand and don't have time right now to figure it out. Also some of the lines and territory names I couldn't tell at first that they were territories.

Here are the circles we use for the games, you can use this to test what the circles will look like.
http://dominating12.com/image/troop_displays/1/ltcs.png
dabbledave wrote:
Hi 4myGod,

I've tightened up the borders, clarified the territory bonus description and added some random circles to this ... if you want to go with it, I'll send you clean one without the rings.

[image]

Cheers,

DD
1771 wrote:
VERY NICE!!!!!!! One can tell you are putting tremendous effort into this and it shows my friend. I like the territory bonuses, it's well thought. i would say we could definetly get 6 guys on this map with all the different lands to hold. I myself am anxious to try it out!EXTREMELY WELL DONE!!!!! I tip my hat to you!!!