Experimental Tournaments
  • 151 posts
  • Page 1 of 11
The_Bishop wrote:
The idea is to experiment how to do a fast mini-tournaments that involves 12 players. A good idea on this subject will be useful for the Dominator Contest.

The best suggestion till now is in my opinion the Vexer's method. It works in this way:

There are 4 games with 6 players each. They all are played simultaneously.
Everyone of the 12 competitors plays in 2 games.

According to who wins each of the 4 games there are three different possibilities:

A == 2 players winning 2 games each. Very rare, around 1% of cases.
Both players are winners and they split the prize.

B == 1 players winning 2 games and 2 players winning 1. About 32% of cases.
The player with 2 games won is the winner.

C == 4 players winning 1 game each. The most common outcome, around 67% of cases.
Those players challenge each other in a 4p Final Game.

That's all, very simple.

If someone is interested to join the experiment just write me here or by PM. If something is not clear just ask me.

2 things to keep in mind:
#1. It is not an official tournament, there aren't any prizes nor medals for the winner.
#2. It requires to be able to join 2 games simultaneously, a premium account gives you more ease to do that.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
Personally, I think that is the best suggestion for a 12p singles tournament, that is until enough maps are made to suit 12 players with a variety and until there are 12 circle colours and until increasing card values are adjusted for fairness in such gigantic games.

I assume the fair division of players would be like so:

High / Low = Refers to Highest Points / Lowest Points according to the full quarterly list.

1|7
2|8
3|9
---
4|10
5|11
6|12

Left blocks play Right blocks =
(3 High players) v (3 Low players) X 2

Top block plays Bottom block =
(6 High players) X 1
(6 Low players) X 1
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
Yes, basically that is the best fit. Every competitor meets 2 opponents twice, 6 opponents once and 3 opponents never. There are several ways to arrange it, for example Vexer originally suggested 6-high/6-low and 6-even/6-odd.

Anyway right now I am not going to check every player how many points he has, I will just put them in a random order associating with a number from 1 to 12. So all these methods are equivalent.

I count you in Aeronautic?
PsymonStark wrote:
My favourite splits would be

Translated into blocks:
Group A: 1,8,12
Group B: 4,5,9
Group C: 2,7,11
Group D: 3,6,10

Then AB/CD and AD/BC

The top 2 shouldn't be paired and the top 4 shouldn't compete against themselves more than once, in my opinion. But a 6 high/6 low distribution would reduce chances of having 4 games, 2 winners. Supposing that the top players are noticeably better than the bottom one, obviously.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
The_Bishop wrote:
Well nice point Psymon. I think it's the best thing to not let the strongest to meet each other. It is so in most of sport contests. Yes it can raise a bit the possibility of a double winner but not a great problem, still it's pretty rare.

Psymon you have no game on going! Do you want to play once on a while?
Matty wrote:
IMO there should not be a possibility of double winners. In that case, play a best of 5 two player game tourney for the title (one game is unfair, 5 games is quite fair I think).

If one is not premium, I can insert them manually in all 5 games (in the database).

Edit: Oh, and I'm in for a tourney of course!
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Sygmassacre wrote:
PsymonStark - Nov 3, 05:39 PM
The top 2 shouldn't be paired and the top 4 shouldn't compete against themselves more than once, in my opinion. But a 6 high/6 low distribution would reduce chances of having 4 games, 2 winners. Supposing that the top players are noticeably better than the bottom one, obviously.

There should be a "Group of Death" as in any world cup event but theoretically if you make the top 12 they all should be groups of death. I won't hark on about the differences of sametime players vs deathmatch vs capitals, I'll let others decide whether that matters.
A Harmonic Generator Intermodulator
 Σ
The_Bishop wrote:
I do think Psymon suggested the best method that keep into account how many points every player has.

My idea for now is to use a random association of the players from 1 to 12 and then run the 4 games like: Low numbers, High numbers, Even numbers, Odd numbers. I think it's the most easy to understand for people. Or if you want I can adopt Psymon's method that must be more suitable for a real D12 contest.

My map proposal for the first stage is 4 different maps with similar size. Those would be East Indies, Westeros & Essos, Melee and South Africa.
But I know someone doesn't agree with me, since feel free to suggest other maps. We will try to find a reasonable agreement.
What map for the Final Game? I have not a clear idea for now, maybe World Classic.

I count me in. Unless is required a referee out of the contest.

Welcome Matty, feel free to suggest different maps if you want.
Note: you are already playing 2 important tournaments! Are you sure this one won't distract you too much?
Matty wrote:
Oh yeah, I'm also in that tourney that didn't start for ages but now risks starting :)

Well, I finished my BO5's, those were intensive. I'll be fine ;)

P.S. I think world modified is better suitable for a final game - it's a lot more fair.

As for the 4 maps: I think they should be 2 maps, so that everyone plays on the same maps: one game on Mediteranean states and one on Tamriel (just to name two: my favourite large maps are Med. states, Tamriel, Wes&Ess and San Fransisco.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
Yes count me in.
I agree with Matty, only 2 maps required, but I am easy with which maps. This way, with Psymon's player divisions, all players play once on each map in the qualifying rounds.

There is no reason why the tournament organiser can't also play, organise and referee. elysium5 & Hoodlum have managed it and you too are a trustworthy person.

Don't forget, you only need to use the current points list for player placing.
http://www.dominating12.com/forums/Dominating12November2015.html

Is this open to all players, or would you like to test it as if it was a Dominator contest, i.e. devoid of suiciders, rank attackers & teamers?

Perhaps a points limit?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
Sorry guys, I'm not the kind of player that actually plays...

I like the tie breaker that Matty suggested. 5 or 7 games should be fair.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Matty wrote:
These tourneys are just a way of testing different 12 player face offs, so anyone can join.
4960epic wrote:
Speaking of which when are we doing this dominator of all dominators contest?