• 8 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
farge wrote:
Every single time I play maps like World Expanded with 3min turns people continually run out of time in the late game and run out of "add time". Making the turns longer makes the early game tedious because of afk players. You should be able to add time 5 times at least to be able to play properly otherwise people cant finish their turns and the game becomes incoherent and a HUGE waste of time. I won't be playing any large games until this is addressed.

TY
PsymonStark wrote:
There are options for 5 and 7 min turns for bigger games. No one should play a world expanded game with 3 min setting.

It is planned that players will have 90/120 sec to start their turn, then the remaining part of their 3/5/7 min to finish it. In the meantime try to make sure that the players in your game are regulars that don't miss their turn.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
farge wrote:
I definitely agree nobody should be playing World expanded with 3min turns with the current setup. However 3 minutes is ample time for 95% of all turns even on World Expanded. I've played many 8+ player games and like it or not there are always 2-3 players who go afk early on in the game. 5 or 7 minute turns makes that unbearable. Adding more "time extensions" would give players the flexibility to take the time they need when they need it without making everyone wait 45mins between turns 1 and 2.
Vexer wrote:
Giving out too many extra time uses can cause abuse. A player could use them all at once.

I am working on an idea for an increasing turn time option where turns would start out at 2 mins and go up by like 30 seconds every few rounds. This would be the ideal option for the setup you are describing.

In the meantime you can ask a game attendant to change the turn time from 3 mins to 5 mins part way through the game via the report tab.
Matty wrote:
@Vexer, what we really need is the 2 minutes to start turn, 5 minutes to play it out option.
That will solve almost all of these issues.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
farge wrote:
Vexer - Apr 25, 04:02 PM
Giving out too many extra time uses can cause abuse. A player could use them all at once.

This is already a problem in games where people start with multiple time extensions (usually on smaller maps oddly enough). They should only be useable once per turn.
aeronautic wrote:
There will sometimes be a need for 2 Add Time's especially when making a kill on a large map with a lot of territories to cover and thinking time needed.
Therefore, limiting their use limits the ability to play properly.

The suggestion Vexer has and is working on has already been discussed in depth and is the solution found to be the best along with what Matty posted above, which as I remember will also be implemented the same time.

So basically, you will have just 2 minutes to click the Begin Turn button or you miss your turn, this will save you having to wait the whole 5 minutes for that player to finish their missed turn. Remember, the timer is counting down whether you press it or not, so it only makes sense to begin your turn as soon as it appears.

The incremental increase in time will of course increase the turn time and allow you to make the kill on large maps without running out of time and having to add time.
Remember there would normally be an even bigger problem of timer abuse or AFK problems when the timer increases quite high due to a long game, but the 2 minutes to click Begin Turn eliminates that too.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Axobongo wrote:
i posted the following on the wrong thread,, so here it is again:

i have learned i am not alone in thinking there needs to be more 'add time's' , (i think in general and universally) i have no opinion on durations. But i do agree that the more popular 3 min games need it, especially on larger maps,, or,, larger maps may be where its more needed.

i think its good to remember that a turn time limit is an online based invention, and not really an original concept in Risk. And those desiring more time are mostly actively playing, not adding out of malice. And D12 now has alot of tools in play to deal with the people of malice and abuse.

added time options -could - even have add options,,a choice of add 2 minutes,, or 5?

when/if games wind down to 2 players who are fairly evenly matched ( esp.capped) it sometimes means more moves are needed.

add time options could appear when game is down to 2? who knows? but this option could be more optimized i think,,

it probably hurts most the player making a comeback after being disadvantaged by a giant,, and the job is to eat the giants territories,, ( which could happen early enough that everyone only has but 1 add time, too)

i rarely need a full 5 minutes extra when i click it,
i do prefer setting up 5 min games,, but its widely accepted that its harder to fill a 5 min game.

The big map enthusiasts and 3 minuters will be grateful if some changes occur

PS, isnt there a way to prevent a user using them all at once? like maybe only being able to use one per turn?