Map Creation
  • 230 posts
  • Page 1 of 16
jonboy1967 wrote:
I have talked to a couple of you great guys who make the maps for us. I would like to suggest Texas as a Large map.....These are the counties. I think only lakes, rivers and territory borders need to be added. Your skills are way better than mine, So please consider. Ty ty ty....WE NEED A TX MAP.

aeronautic wrote:
Map Suggestions http://www.dominating12.com/forum/?cmd=topic&id=93&page=26
As just a suggestion you should really have put it there.

However, it is here now, but no posted image?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
Thanks for this naathim it will be very useful.

Wow that will be a big map, so many territories.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
I might have spotted some 4 corner problems though xD
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
We won't be using it exactly as it is, we will move the connection points of contact so as not to have 4 corner problems.
There will also need to be objects that are not passable, otherwise this would just be chaos.
naathim wrote:
Well to be honest, you could probably combine say three or four counties into one territory and still end up with a high numbered territory map. There are 254 counties, /3 and /4 is 85 and 63.5 respectively.

I actually really like to block these things out for rough drafts. I find the tracing to be soothing lol. Would you like me too, or at least not mind if I made a quick rough draft of it?
aeronautic wrote:
Not at all, you go ahead.

It will give us a picture of the possibilities and how it would look if it utilised just 132 territories.
This is the number I would like to aim for if possible?
Merging some counties allows us to stagger them in the North region which is basically a grid and this would instantly eliminate most of the 4 corner problems there and the same for all the other places that have grid lines as boundaries.
If possible can you also mark where any existing rivers are that might be utilised for game-play?
naathim wrote:
132? I don't think it'll work. The map/territories will be too small for territory circles. Even at 1024/700.

I will do my best though!!
naathim wrote:
Ah shoot, I forgot the rivers, sorry Aero. I got it up to 104 territories. I think it's possible to squeeze another dozen or so on the west of the map. Anyways here's the quick draft:

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p536/drewbrookover/Texasupload_zps9723ddf7.jpg
aeronautic wrote:
That is excellent work!

Don't worry about squeezing anymore territories out of it, 104 is fine.

I will make a 132 territory map soon anyway.

Use the relief map below and overlay it onto yours, scale it to fit the outline and then you can mark which mountains and rivers can be utilised. This keeps it geographically accurate.
Texas Relief Map (click to show)
You'll notice that there are also some lakes that run the length of some borders, these will be handy too.

BTW jonboy1967, please describe approximately where your town is on the map.
Matty wrote:
Up till now the biggest map we have has 94 territories, to me 104 sounds like a very good number of territories - both for the fact that it's larger than 90 and that it has good divisibility.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
It would also be good to outline the rest of the coastline so as to make neutral land and sea separate areas, just for the geographic aspect.
It also looks like the bottom left area would be perfect for the mini-map.
You will also need to elongate the actual map dimensions closer to the original proportions of the relief map I posted, it looks a bit too squashed in the rough draft.
jonboy1967 wrote:
As a person who lives here in Texas and started this thread. TY TY TY all for your work. Naathim that is a really good idea. I think it will do a great reflection of the state.

Again ty
jonboy1967 wrote:
I live in #73....lol

The lake system is pretty cool. Again I want to thank you guys/gals. This is shaping up to be pretty cool. (Y)(Y)