• 17 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
BETA wrote:
How about making a 2 minute turn option for same time games?

In same time, we very often wait till the 'last seconds' to go, and there is unnecessary waiting.

I've commented about this to a few others during such games, and some have responded that they would want a one minute option.
I think that that is not enough time, as some setups require more time to think, and some moves need more time to execute.

Same time is in beta stage, and there are glitches, etc, and there are things to work on in same time play itself. But I think this would greatly improve the same time experience for those playing it now.
Villain191 wrote:
I second a shorter time option, would prefer 1 minute to 2. I think the shorter time would make same time even more fun and interesting.
cbt711 wrote:
If it was 1 minute, then there should be no start turn or end turn buttons. Everyone should start together, everyone should end together, automatically. This would make a lot of same timers that abuse the timing more than the gameplay mad, though. Personally, I think it should be about the tactics and skill and not internet speed or how fast you can refresh. Timing is a skill as well, but would be adapted to one or two minute turns and no begin turn or end turn buttons pretty quickly imho.
cbt711 wrote:
It means if they go first, they sit there so the other player can't start turn. Then they wait and wait until the other player eventually lowers their guard. Then they start turn and make a kill. In fact, one player... cough David cough... makes a living off the timing of the turn starting.

Then if you end turn before them, they just let time run out instead of having to wait for you to start turn next time. I think it would be much more fun on the level.

Also if you have two windows open, and the second you click end turn on one (or the second the time runs out for that turn), hit refresh on the other (works even better if you hit it just before you end turn), you can get a good 3-5 seconds of play on your own on the refreshed window before the other players browsers update their turn status sometimes. Good internet ping to D12 servers is a weapon with how it is now.
BETA wrote:
(Thanks for that last tip, CBT!!)
tontot wrote:
cbt, with the recent glitch, if you let the time run out and do not end your turn, you may end up miss your next turn and bonus (while getting one more card). Usually it is a disadvantage

Good same time players now have to know when to end their turn (within seconds left) and when not (expect someone may add extra time)

So just point out in 1 vs 1 unlimited, end your turn first now have some strategy in it (and the need of the start button)

cbt711 wrote:
Then missing the end turn needs to always result in missing the next turn, because if you play David or Sparty and you ending turn first is an advantage on the next turn, or there is a risk of a player adding time to make a kill, they will run out of time on purpose.
Vexer wrote:
I like the idea of everyone's turn starting and ending at the same time without the need for clicking begin turn and end turn if a two minute option is chosen.

Even if you don't use one of the minutes clicking on things you are still going to be thinking about your next move and watching what others are doing. And if all players have finished a minute early then use the chat to pass the time. With 2 minute rounds it's still a very fast game.

I think it would be better if after round 5 the turn time automatically increase by 5 seconds per round with a max of 5 minutes because you need more time when the killing starts.
BETA wrote:
I like Vexer's additional idea about each turn time after round 5 automatically increasing by five seconds. I would want to increase it up to a maximum of 3 minutes though. maybe 4.

About the ideas of eliminating the start and end time buttons -
I don't understand how 2 minute turns affects that. It takes a second to start and to end.

Some people ..cough ;) cough.. don't like that so much strategy in same time is 'off the board' - when to end and start turns, when to add time, when to let yourself timeout, etc, But it Is a part of the same time strategy as same time is presently constituted.
Perhaps you want to eliminate that. Fine. But I don't understand how that is connected to a 2 minute timer.
Villain191 wrote:
cbt711 - Jul 24, 04:25 PM
It means if they go first, they sit there so the other player can't start turn. Then they wait and wait until the other player eventually lowers their guard. Then they start turn and make a kill. In fact, one player... cough David cough... makes a living off the timing of the turn starting.

Then if you end turn before them, they just let time run out instead of having to wait for you to start turn next time. I think it would be much more fun on the level.

Also if you have two windows open, and the second you click end turn on one (or the second the time runs out for that turn), hit refresh on the other (works even better if you hit it just before you end turn), you can get a good 3-5 seconds of play on your own on the refreshed window before the other players browsers update their turn status sometimes. Good internet ping to D12 servers is a weapon with how it is now.

Have you tried the consecutive turn option? I think you'll find that many of these 'problems' will be solved by selecting that option. 
cbt711 wrote:
Beta, I guess it's not really tied to 2 minutes other than if you end turn first, you can then wait a minute before starting turn, and everyone waiting on you is punished.

Everything you do can be a tactic. Doesn't mean is tactful. I could beat Super Street Fighter II Turbo with M Bison doing nothing but slide kicks. I said people wouldn't like my idea. But I feel it more represents what the site wanted with same time games. The skillset developed around these same time mechanisms is a byproduct of the system having flaws. Now that people know how to use them to their advantage doesn't make them any less of flaws.

@Villain - the point of same time is playing at the same time, countering moves in real time, taking advantage of mistakes at any time, not just the next player wins because someone the turn before him decided to make a terrible move. All players equally can take advantage of mistakes in same time games. I don't think the point of same time is to abuse the start and end turn buttons. I get that it has turned into that, but I seriously doubt that was ever the intention.
Villain191 wrote:
No that is clearly not the point, if it was then the game wouldn't stop the person who ended their turn last from playing until someone else had started. 
cbt711 wrote:
Then make that universal even running out of time which will bypass that feature. And the point for live games surely is taking advantage of gameplay in real time more than turn order imho. You know playing caps games someone screwing up wins the game for the next guy over half the time. 

The turn order is just a feature to try and counter waiting til the last second and stealing a region bonus, so the other player that ended first can then start early and break that bonus before the second player can get credit for it. That doesn't make it the entire point of same time games.
Villain191 wrote:
I have no idea what you're trying to say in the first paragraph.

Saying that there is a purpose to why people don't always play at the same time doesn't make much of a case. Just like there is a purpose for the 'begin turn' button and 'end turn' button. I really don't see why the game should be dumbed down.