A map of the night sky
  • 16 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
Evilspyguy wrote:
Here's an idea:

http://postimg.org/image/jizdeb3p3/

Does it work? Don't tell me about minimap, I got that sorted. And the graphics. I just want to know if the idea is good, and if I should change the connections of the constellations.

P.S. I'm thinking that Ursa Major and Minor should probably be connected
Virtuosity98 wrote:
The idea is certainly original and I think that some of the more influential map-makers should give it a chance. It has the potential of looking fantastic with a good deal of graphical editing, and it also looks like a map with a fairly open gameplay.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Evilspyguy wrote:
Wow thanks mate. Have you got any specific comments about the gameplay. I mean, how do I make it better
Virtuosity98 wrote:
I say that the gameplay looks good - I dislike maps that are not circular (eg Isthmus of Panama), and this one is definitely circular.

The only thing I would say is that some regions look overpowered. The most overpowered is certainly Hercules, as it only has two entrances. I think you should consider the amount of entrances to each region, as that will be a huge factor in creating fair gameplay.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Evilspyguy wrote:
I've added some rough region bonus numbers. When I said Ursa I meant Canis, btw. Tell me any changes (though I think these are pretty accurate now).
Cireon wrote:
The bonuses don't look right to me. Vexer made a guide for determining region bonuses once, but I alway lose it.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
PsymonStark wrote:
I think it has a lot of potential.

About territories, the only thing it's I would change Big and Little Dipper for Ursa Major and Ursa Minor. And it's Boötes, not Bootes.

About connections. There are many long strings of territories. You should remove some of them, or add a lot of extra connections to improve connectivity.

I would also make the map wider so it is not an square.

About bonus, Gemini should be 1, and Canis could be 2 both. I think 3 is too much.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
UltrasPlot wrote:
Yeah, this looks promising, but bonuses are too high.
Agree 100% with what psymon said.
cbt711 wrote:
This looks like it could be awesome... but I'm partial to space maps for some reason :)
Evilspyguy wrote:
@PsymonStark:
-Yes I know Bootes has an umlaut, but my keyboard is not German, and paint wouldn't let me copy.
-Ursa changes: good idea, changed.
-Map: getting round to it cos at the moment I'm working on the...
-Connections: working this out.
-Gemini has been reduced from 3, but to 2, not 1. It has too many borders to be a 1.
-I'm struggling with Canis- they're not connected, so surely that deserves 3 (hard to obtain both quickly)

@UltrasPlot:

Currently yes the bonuses are too high, however after more connections are added, they will deserve them (wow I'm really into personification here).
PsymonStark wrote:
Please take a look to maps like Caribbean, Oregon Cities or Great Britain. A region with 2 terr, 2 borders is only worth 1.

A more general formula is bonus=number of territories/3+ number of border territories/2.5

About Boötes, don't worry, we just need it fixed when the map is complete.

I'm for removing some of the stars for gameplay purpose instead of cluttering everything with a lot of connections. Remember you have to put circles and names to everything, and be easy to get the gameplay at a glance, and it would be hard to fit all of the names and to get it at first sight.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Evilspyguy wrote:
END OF THREAD
I have no time to complete this due to exams - It probably would not be worth it anyway.