I don't like to write anything in 'topic description'. Deal with it.
  • 18 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
urgul wrote:
So like, I'm getting more and more impatient, (and hey, a lot of others are, too) so what about one minute turns??
That would be like so cool.

Thanks for readin'
urgullll
Clarke wrote:
I am in, but with 1 condition:

Each person gets 2 "extend time" options. However, you can only extend time IF you started your turn in the first 15 seconds of your timer beginning. I hate it when guys are not paying attention, they realize it is there turn when 10 seconds are on the clock, they extend time (another 3 or 5 minutes) and then they take their turn.
The_Bishop wrote:
I think people would like it but also I think it would produce a lot of bad games.
I don't know, I think should be evaluated something like that.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
For a decent game ppl need to think properly, so this won't work.

A better idea I think is to give them one or two minutes to start their turn and then add three or four minutes.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Xixi2 wrote:
Don't forget about internet issues. Where I live, it is not rare for me to get my turn late just because the page won't load.
Fendi wrote:
I think that idea defeats the purpose of playing a strategy game because strategy requires time. I think the minimum should stay at 3 minutes (like we have it now).
uandwatarmy wrote:
I think people with poor internet issues or people who are new to the map or prefer longer turns should just avoid 1 minute turn games

and people who would prefer shorter turns should have the option

alot of times in 1v1 games the winner is decided by the 1st 2nd 3rd rounds, so not being able to resign until the 5th round is quite irritating, with 1 minute turns the wait wouldnt be as bad, since as we all know some newer players like to take up the full allotted time

let us not forget that in some formats of strategy games you have to think quickly, such as speed/quick chess or fast tables in poker

some would argue these formats require even more strategy..
Matty wrote:
uandwatarmy - Feb 28, 06:15 AM
some would argue these formats require even more strategy..
Not more stategy - more intuition and experience.

Though personally I prefer to play against players who think over their moves twice rather than guess for a moment.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
A side of the argument that has not been made yet is the following: the server. There are two points regarding the server I would like to make:
  • These faster turns result in on average more interaction. This means the server is strained even more. Right now the server is already reaching its limits during peak hours, and the strain is almost exclusively caused by live games. Adding one minute turns would pretty much require the server to be upgraded. Maybe if more people got premium and/or this was a premium only option, we could figure something it, but the way it is now, I can't make any guarantees about supporting it.
  • So let's say we do implement it. Then (especially during peak hours) the latency will increase. This means that the time before you see actions appear on your screen gets longer. Also performing actions on the board gets slow. If you want to be able to play in one minute turns, the game needs to run as smooth as it can be, and that is right now not really the case and would beed major improvements to the backend to get right.
Seriously, three minute turns are already very tight from my personal experience. If you want the other player to hurry up, find somebody to play with from who you know they will. Problem solved.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aeronautic wrote:
@Cireon very good points, the increase in play would cause a required increase in server, the server is the biggest expense in the upkeep of the site & premium players are who pay for the server.

Therefore, requests for things that cost money should only be available to those that pay for it.

This would be a perfect remedy for the request, however if only a hand full of people want faster turns and so a bigger faster server and purchased premium accounts in order to be able to use it, the amount paid by the few wouldn't cover the upgrade.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Vexer wrote:
If we made it a premium only option then I don't think it would hit the server too hard.
We do have future plans to add some modest limits on the number of live games for non premium players. Adding 1 minute turns would have to wait until then.
Clarke wrote:
I don't understand Vexer. Non-premium are already limited to 1 live game at a time. How can you add more "modest limits" to that?

Oh, I think I might have figured it out... Perhaps only 10 games allowed during a 24-hour period while also maintaining the 1 game at a time rule. Am I on the right track?
Matty wrote:
Yes, although there is a different number for 2p games and 2p+ games.
rolyat wrote:
I am so in! Shorter turns would be great. Hey, if people agree to the 1-minute turn up-front, then they have to live with it!
ʎzɐɹɔ sı sıɥʇ, lol