Is it allowed?
  • 32 posts
  • Page 1 of 3
Jomeachka wrote:
I was told in one game that it was against the rules to say where people's troops are in Fog of War games but another person in a different game said you can . . . Which is right?
Matty wrote:
Well, there is a rule to win, and if someone is doing too well, than you should do whatever you can to make the game balanced again - the chat is the best way to do that.

So yes, it really is allowed to say whatever you want (for as long as you keep it kids-friendly :)).

However, it is a FOG game, so dont keep telling everyone everything all the time. That kind of spoils the purpose of the game.

So occasionally its a must to tell whats up (dont go into too much detail though), but don't overdo it.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
lifeinpixels wrote:
My personal rule of thumb is that if I sense someone is going to win, I inform the other players that the winning (to be) player has a significant number of troops. Or I might ask if anyone is a threat.
Gets the job done for me without revealing too much information.
Vexer wrote:
I think it's cheating to give out specifics like troop counts and locations but if it's a fixed card game and someone owns half the map I think it's ok to say in the chat that you suspect that a player owns half the map. In increasing card games you really don't know for sure when someone is about to win so I think it's better if you keep your mouth shut.

Sygmassacre wrote:
Ultimately its a conscience thing. I for one hate losing but dont get as much satisfaction when my win comes via 'illicit' Intel and not my ability to work it out....but I still accept the points of course loti
A Harmonic Generator Intermodulator
 Σ
Fendi wrote:
I'm glad someone brought this up, it's been an annoying issue that I have been having a hard time handling. We don't have any particular rules since no one can be 100% sure of what is going on in a fog of war game but I have have to agree with Vexer. You can give out some information if it means putting yourself in the lead or balancing the board out, this goes for both increasing cards and fixed cards. In my opinion, you can lie and be deceptive since the point with this setting is to take advantage of the Fog.
Paddlin wrote:
I agree with Vexer's former point on this subject, which is, "It's a fog game, what may appear to be specific could in fact be a lie."

The chat is part of the game. The better players on this site are good at using the chat to their advantage. For instance, players such as Matty will lie to manipulate the board for a win. No one regulates that chat, so to ask admin to regulate fog chat seems hypocritical and arbitrary.

Once you learn who the players are, you will know who is calling out specifics, who stays quiet, who lies, etc. This makes fog games easier. 
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
It's funny, because all we are saying we agree with Vexer don't agree among us (it looks like we have a different idea about how chat in Fog Games should be used).
Gato que avanza, Perro que ladra
Matty wrote:
That is because people are different.

There is no rule that sais you cannot lie, and thus one could use the chat to give out false information to win.
Also there is no rule to prevent anyone to give out all information they have, it is perfectly allowed.

The only thing that will happen if you do that, lying or giving away all info, is that ppl will dislike you, which takes away the main point of the game, to enjoy it.
That's why we all say that you shouldn't give away too much information, or lie all the time.

What amount is too much information, or what part of manipulation can be considered lying, differs per person - meaning we all agree with Vexer, but in a different degree :)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
elysium5 wrote:
nice Vexer :)
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."