a variation
  • 48 posts
  • Page 1 of 4
lifeinpixels wrote:
Sometimes, I have to be away from the computer for over 24 hours but under 48. In fact, this happens a lot more than normal vacations or other trips. As of now, extra time in long term games is pretty much useless. It gives an extra hour during the player's turn, but it's unlikely that they'll need their whole normal hour in the first place. I think it would be much more useful to have the extra time extend your waiting period for 24 hours. This way, if I know i'm going to be gone for one day, I can activate this and it would wait a total of 48 hours before skipping my turn. I think that the limited number of extra times available would prevent any repeated malicious use. What do you guys think?
Matty wrote:
I actually have seen someone run out of time in a long term game :)
But ya, that was a onetimer.

I agree it would be useful if people only use it when they really have to.
I mean, most of the time you are away an entire day, you can get up 5 mins earlier and quickly do all your turns...
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
elysium5 wrote:
I can see the logic in this as it shouldn't make much of a difference in how long a long term game takes. An extra day or two for a game that can take weeks isn't really that big of a deal. And considering if there are several players, an extra few hours each between turns kind of equals what would be an extra 24hr time option anyway(or pretty close to it).
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Cireon wrote:
Well, 24 hours is a lot easier to abuse and well... non-premium players probably want to end their games as fast as possible so they can start new ones?
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
If you want to encourage people to be a premium member this can be a good way of doing it (not to annoy NON PREMIUM but to improve options of Premium members).

Would it be possible to add this suggestion as an option when you create a game? I find quite interesting this option.
Gato que avanza, Perro que ladra
Vexer wrote:
I have seen something like this on another website where premium members get a vacation option. I think that the players who are actually paying for the site should get priority in this matter. But I don't think they should be able to delay the game for a whole vacation. I think that the extra time button should give an extra 24 hours for premium members. For most people when you are on vacation you can still find open wifi within a 48 hour period. I don't think it needs to be an option chosen when you create a game. I think it should work for all games, but for premium members only. Premium members are far less likely to abuse it.

For those who go on a vacation with no internet access for more than 48 hours then they should stop joining games two weeks prior to the vacation and they should ask a player they trust who has similar skill to take their turns in any remaining games for them while they are gone.

This would literally take Matty 5 minutes to code so we just need to get a consensus on this. I think it's a good idea that will make premium more desirable. Does anyone else have an opinion?
gragg9 wrote:
I like the idea. I'm still a little concerned about it being overused though. Even if it is just premiums.
Glanru wrote:
From my work experience, I would find it hard to see where someone would need more than 24 hours to take a turn. My work experiences differs from most, so I am okay with others that have a different view. I am also pro premium options, to make it seem more worthwhile to purchase it, or to just offer more options because they paid. I also agree that most premium members would not abuse extending their turn by 24 hours.

Fendi wrote:
I agree with what has been said. Abusers can always get their privilege removed, even if they are premium.
gragg9 wrote:
I'd say go ahead and implement it when ya'll have the time. If problems come up and things need to be adjusted, you can always do so later
lifeinpixels wrote:
Did we get a consensus? Seems like people like this idea so far and I'd like to see it implemented.
Vexer wrote:
Sounds like a consensus to me. Matty can you put it on your to do list?

But keep in mind that when I said it would take matty 5 minutes i was only referring to changing it to 24 hours instead of an hour for premium users. To program the code to block abusers from using it would take a little more time.