Map of the N. Hemisphere with Arctic - 79 territories!
  • 79 posts
  • Page 1 of 6
Virtuosity98 wrote:
This is a large map of the Northern Hemisphere! I was very conscious of the fact that there is already a World Expanded Map, and I have avoided similar gameplay between the two maps by redistributing the more powerful regions (and by adding the Arctic Region!).

I have tried my very best with the graphics, however, they are extremely limited because I had to make this whole map on Word and Paint!! Therefore the map is lacking in texture and also some borders lack a little clarity. I had hoped that if the map was popular enough then someone would be able to polish it up for me.

By the way, the whole of the Caribbean and Cuba is one territory, as well as the Phillipines being one territory.

Here is the link for the map:

http://www.yogile.com/northern_hemisphere_map

The first map is the one to look at - the others are visual variations of the first, a close-up of the minimap, and a 9-player capitals draft.

I spent a lot of time on this map, so please send me your opinions, and suggest the possibility of merging or splitting territories to make either 72 or 84 territories (thus reducing the likelihood of neutrals).

P.S. How large in pixels is a square map allowed to be?

Thanks in advance :D
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

PsymonStark wrote:
The maps have to be 1024px wide, and can be as long as it's needed, but it's encouraged to avoid very long maps because that causes players to scroll, and makes them less attractive. Usually it's better if the maps are not bigger than 1024x768. People doesn't usually like square/circle maps, so I suggest you to rotate the image so the Pacific Ocean is out of sight, and you can get the map about 700px long easily.

Also, many territories in your map would not fit a circle and its name.

Please, take a look to [u]this topic[/u] to see how to properly present a map. You can get a better tool for map making [u]here[/u].

Keep up the good work! ^^
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
PsymonStark,

I have made the map rectangular as you suggested - it is now 1024 x 762 - and I have also added the Territory Names and Territory Circles, despite you saying that they wouldn't fit ;).

For the sake of having a less awkward number of territories, I merged two in the SE Asia green region to form the region: Thailand. There are now only 78 territories. I know that it would have been better to split a territory to make 80 territories, but I couldn't find any suitable territory to split.

Unfortunately, I cannot yet upload the image to the internet as the image is saved on another computer - I didn't have time to transfer it via email.

Check back around this time tomorrow for the updated version!!

And by the way thanks for your advice :)
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:

Virtuosity98 wrote:
P.S.

I still have no idea how to add texture to the land or sea (my current sea texture is very primitive), even with Paint.net as you recommended. Is there anyone that could help with this?
Day Actions:

PsymonStark wrote:
Well, for 80 territories split America red region in Mexico, Central America, Cuba and Antilles, and put no connections to Cuba. For 81 maybe you can add Sri Lanka in Asia. 81 is better than 80 because there would be just 1 neutral for 8p, with 80 there would be 8 neutrals for 9p. Also be careful, Baja California is part of Mexico.

I'm afraid I have no time for teaching. But you can google paint.net tutorials, you can learn a lot of little tricks and how to work your way out of this.

I wait for you to upload the new version to keep suggesting.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Thanks for the advice - I'll try 81 territories.
Day Actions:

Virtuosity98 wrote:
As promised (sorry that it's a little late)!

It now has 81 territories - I have added Morocco, Central America, and Newfoundland. The reason for these choices was to maintain very similar region bounuses (too many splits in Mexico Region would have meant that it would have had to be a 3 troop bonus). Also, I did not want the Mexico Region the same as in World Expanded.

Please comment on colours!

http://www.yogile.com/northern_hemisphere#04494070l

Textures on the way!

Thanks!
Day Actions:

PsymonStark wrote:
Much better looking. I'd say please adapt the outline to the real one (without changing the gameplay). The territories don't look accurate and that makes the map look far worse. For the ones who are more than one country, try to use bigger region names, some of them:

Guinea->West Sahel
Ghana->Guinea Coast
Suriname->Guyana
Columbia->Colombia
Kalimantan->Borneo
Thailand->Siam

The fact of Spain and Morocco not bordering bugs me. It's only 14 km away. And not a fan of Mongolia and Kazakhstan regions, nor the labels you put there :) I'd put Mongolia in Chinese region, only one territory, then break Heilongjiang in Heilongjiang and Korea, then delete the connection from Kabarovsk to Japan, and add one from Japan to East China.

About colors, you have to figure out different colors for each region. They have to differ one from another, and adjacent colors have to be distinguishable.

This map has a lot of empty space, and then a lot of small territories. Maybe you should reduce the number of territories and regions. Specially the Russian zone is a total mess. And labels like SE, NE, EK, WK, EM, WM are not intuitive and make harder understanding the map. I would rethink the Africa and Europe territories too, but have no time.

BTW, your signature is too big :P
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Firstly, it's clear that you don't mind being critical - which isn't a bad thing! I will take into account your advice.
Day Actions:

Madagascarter wrote:
The area boosts are not the greatest. In the saint Petersburg area you can get 3 extra troops for only 4 territories.. This troop bonus is the same as the north west Africa region which has 6 territories. Maybe you can think of making there less cotenants so there is an big continent like Asia in World Classic. 
Playing Deep Sea Adventure, you can't track me

Summer 2 Countdown

Get your purchases in 2 hours beforehand
The_Bishop wrote:
Nice idea! The Earth looks round as it is, I like it!
Maybe a white luminescence around the planet might looks better rather then the black border.

I like the 81 territory size.

I also think Spain and Marocco should be connected each other. I would say the Artic region bonus should be slowed down to +3. I think the connection between Japan and Kabarovsk should stay being realistic, but maybe Psymon has a different idea in order to improve the game play.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
PsymonStark wrote:
The problem I see is that Chinese region is very unattractive because 5/6 territories are borders... That's why I suggested it. Maybe make Korea and Japan a region "Far East" worthy 1, making China be 3 and reducing a territory from Kazakhstan or Western Russia, which is very crowded?

Actually, not Khabarovsk itself, but the island of Sakhalin is 45km. north of Japan, which I didn't know. That miniregion would reduce the problem.

Agree with Arctic worthy 3.
shaymin wrote:
I think that it is great the way it is! Don't reduce the Artic to 3 - that would make it so much worse!