The need to be able to review the game in playback
  • 6 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
True-Detective wrote:
Game-log is great, but it's too hard to decipher; besides, it doesn't even reveal the number of attacking/defending players.

I know that the games database can create a playback for the games, but it needs to be programmed. There are several reasons why this is necessary:

1- In fog-of war games you can't understand how the game played, so you should be able to playback the moves after the game is finished.
2- Sometimes it happens that you miss some portion of your game (you drift away on web, your connection gets lost, etc) and you want to be able to see the few moves you've missed.
3- In long-term games you need to see the last round's moves to get a good grip of the game.
4- This will enable educational discussions for new players by referring to moves in certain games.

There may be other uses for this option, but that's what I could remember right now.

Now how do I think it should work:

In game-log section, you should be able to click on a certain row, to see the map at the time that transaction took place, of course there should be an indication to point out that this is not the current situation of the map, like fading out the color of the map or something.

Also there should be a 'Next Move', 'Previous Move', 'Auto Play', 'Stop', 'Next Round', 'Previous Round', and probably other buttons to work with. Also for educational purposes, there should be an option to refer to a game by indicating the starting and finishing number of transactions.

Every computer-based chess game has a playback option, and I think it is time that DXII games get a playback option too.
Matty wrote:
I want this as well, for a long time already, but it's quite alot of work to do.

Side remark: I would not implement this live on the website, but make a 2nd party program for it, that receives the data from this site, and then does things himself.
Side remark 2: It's currnently not possible, as (I THINK) the game-log doesn't store how many troops are transferred after a succesful attack.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
SpamFree wrote:
The playback option sounds interesting, provided fog integrity can be maintained.

[image]

Matty's mention of a 2nd party program made me think of web automation via IFThisThenThat (https://ifttt.com/) but I don't know if it is relevant.

Stratosphere wrote:
it would be VERY GREAT...
I also thought about it very much, most importantly in long term games and fog of war games after finishing the game
maybe I also could help implementing this.. :)
Virtuosity98 wrote:
I love the idea! On the App Store there are risk apps with a playback function, and I think it's a useful feature. I think, aside from finding out what happened during your game, that it would just be fun to look back at your most amazing victories and enjoy them! Also, you could learn tips from seeing others' tactics and your own failures in past games.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).