• 39 posts
  • Page 1 of 3
Cireon wrote:
As most of you will have noticed by now: a new game type "Domination" has been added to Dominating 12. This game type is designed with the idea in mind to make fixed games shorter, as they can go on for a very long time with good players. Therefore, we added a second win condition of conquering a given percentage (which depends on the amount of players) of all territories. Of course it is also still possible to just kill everyone in your way.

As this is a completely new game type and this game type can be combined with a lot of settings, it is hard to test how the game type works out in combination with these. Additionally we had to set percentages per player and as we had to "guess" what would be best, they are not set in stone and we are interested in what your experiences are with this new game type.

So if you have played one or multiple Domination game types, please discuss your experiences here (don't forget to tell what other settings you used if that influenced your experience) and tell us how we can improve this game type.

I hope you all have a lot of fun with this new game mode.

F.A.Q.
What is Domination?
Domination lets you also win by conquering a given percentage of all territories.

Why was Domination added?
To make it slightly easier to win Fixed and No Cards games to stop them from becoming too long.

What are the percentages of territories to win?
The percentages vary based on the amount of players in the game. They can be calculated using a smart formula with which I won't bother you. The percentages are as follows:
2p - 65%
3p - 60%
4p - 55%
5p - 52.5%
6p - ± 51.3%
7p - ± 50.6%
8p - ± 50.3%
9p - ± 50.2%

What settings do you recommend in combination with Domination?
If you want to play Increasing, then Domination will not be much different from Deathmatch, so I recommend playing on Fixed or No Cards. The other settings are based on your personal reference, but you might want to look into fog games, in which you will have to grow as big as possible without being noticed and then win the game before people find out what you was doing.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Vexer wrote:
Hold down CTRL and hit F5 + F5 + F5 (A super refresh required for google chrome sometimes)
elysium5 wrote:
Joined a two player fixed cards on the Eastern Asia map.

Very similar to a death match game in that by the time you get close to the required countries you are likely the dominant player anyways.

On a bad note, nothing to speak of so far.

On a good note, it did allow for the game to finish a few turns sooner so the frustration of the other player waiting to be killed off was shorter by a few turns.

Great for the player who knows they are done but refuses to quit because it does not get needlessly dragged out. Also great for the player who wants to take his winnings and move on to the next game.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
elysium5 wrote:
I can't seem to create a domination game though. Is there something I am doing wrong?
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Cireon wrote:
Yes, the 2p percentage is a bit hard to do. This is mainly because one third of all territories is neutral from the beginning. The current percentage is 65%, meaning that you can win by either taking all neutrals or all enemy territories or a combination of them. I could lower the percentages even more (to about 55%-60%) and see if that makes any difference.

Also, how exactly can't you make a domination game. Have you actually bought the game type in the shop for 200 tokens?
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
elysium5 wrote:
I have not bought the game type. Didn't think to try that. Just couldn't make it work in the 'create game' set up. I will buy it and keep testing it out for you and will offer whatever feedback I can.
Cireon wrote:
Hmm, but you still could join other domination games? That is something that needs fixing then...
elysium5 wrote:
Yes, I joined one. I did however just purchase the game type a couple minutes ago as well but I had not purchased it when I played the first one I joined earlier.
Cireon wrote:
Alright, then we'll see if we can change that later.

Thanks for the feedback.
elysium5 wrote:
I'll try and play as many variations as I can and will offer any feedback I can. Thanks for the work involved. It adds one more reason to join the site and one more reason to encourage a purchase of the premium membership.
elysium5 wrote:
Three player 'World Classic.'

Had no issues there.
elysium5 wrote:
Three player 'Caribbean.'

Nothing to speak of.
Cireon wrote:
I would prefer if you just compile all your results into one post :D
elysium5 wrote:
I'll wait until I have both pros and cons and list them all after several games maybe every few days then. I just thought because it was new on this site that you would want any and all information (regardless of how boring, because even the non-issues are important in regards to knowing if it is so far successful) as fast as possible so you could monitor it. The last thing I want to be is annoying. Also if there is anything specific you want me to try please let me know. Cheers.